Wednesday, June 25, 2008

orchids


I love orchids, and I am very excited that the one orchid I have right now is preparing to bloom again. When I lived in Santa Barbara, I had several orchids, but they would never re-bloom. I followed all the advice about food and temperature, etc, but they would never send out new shoots. When I moved to Florida, however, I got a new orchid that I completely ignored--I just left it on the patio, never fed it, only occasionally watered it. The humid and warm conditions of that place, however, had that orchid blooming like clockwork every October. When I moved away from Orlando, I gave that orchid to my friend Fon, and I'm sure her green thumb has that orchid blooming still.

When we moved to Texas, I found that our master bathroom has a perfect window for all kinds of plants, and so I invested in a new orchid and sat it on the bathtub near that magical spot. It bloomed three times last year, and now it's about to bloom again. Like my Florida orchid before, I pretty much ignore this plant. I never feed it and only occasionally water it. In honor of my excitement over this plant and its impending blossoms, here is my favorite Polaroid from last year's orchid blooms.


An Orchid's Promise (2007)
Camera: Polaroid Sx-70
Film: Time-Zero

Signed prints in my Etsy Shop!

No comments: