Saturday, April 5, 2008

Finally, the poppies are here!

I'm a Californian, and I love our state flower, the California Poppy. These hardy wildflowers bloom along the roadsides and in fields and through the desert and on mountains throughout the Golden State, and I love the way they illuminate the world around them. When we moved to Texas, I planted some in our yard, and we enjoyed many of these orange gems for several months last spring and summer. This year, I was getting worried, as they were not coming up at all. Finally, though, two days ago, my first California Poppy of the season burst out into the world, bringing a shocking flash of orange to our rather boring back yard. There are many more now, many more everyday, coming up and getting ready to shed their caps and soak up the sun. This is a sign to me that, finally, winter is gone, and it won't be back for a very long time.


...and it is on fire (2007)
Camera: Polaroid SX-70
Film: Polaroid Time-Zero
Inadvertent manipulation from being stuck in the camera!
Location: Denton, Texas, USA

No comments: