Thursday, April 3, 2008

I love comfortable hotel rooms


I travel frequently, mostly because of my work, and regularly find myself in airports, taxis, metros, trains, buses, rental cars, and hotel rooms. Even though I don't have unlimited resources, I always try my best to get fabulous deals for fabulous rooms in fabulous hotels. I'm not always successful, but sometimes I get lucky.

This past January, I went to DC and booked myself into the Omni Shoreham. Hotel. When I checked in, I was placed in a very beautiful, spacious, freshly-decorated room that had simple, clean lines and soothing colors. It's so rare to find good design in hotels. I am often astonished at the poor taste designers exhibit in their choices of decor; and I know it's not "just" about price, because I've stayed in some really cool places that were not expensive, but very well designed. But anyway, this hotel room had been nicely arranged, with integrated lines that were clean and pseudo-modern, yet were evocatively Neoclassical as well, in line with the whole DC theme.

Hotels are strange places--spots of transgression, beauty, and creepiness. There are endless possibilities in hotel rooms, and their anonymous nature emparts a bizarre quality to them. With every visitor, the room witnesses the sublime and the ridiculous elements of human nature. I believe something from every guest remains in hotels rooms; I don't know what that "something" is, but one morning I pulled out my Polaroid camera and decided that I just had to make a record of that something in this particular room.


Room 779 (2008)
Camera: Polaroid SX-70 Alpha 1, Model 2
Film: Polaroid Time-Zero
Location: Room 779, Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington, DC

No comments: