Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Flatiron Building

I'm a real sucker for the Flatiron building. I cannot really tell you exactly what it is about the buiilding that I like. I don't particularly think the neighborhood it's in is very interesting, but the way it dominates the intersection and tricks the eye never ceases to amaze me. When I was in New York last summer, I was lucky enough to take a few photos of this building that I am proud of; let me tell you the story behind these images.

The first one, Gotham, was taken at about 8 o'clock in the morning. I thought I would get to the building in time to avoid strange sunshine and shade patches. However, you can see at the top that the Sun was already beginning to shine unevenly on the building. However, the expired quality of this amazing pack of Time-Zero film added some surreal flames to the lower portion of this picture, balancing the sunlight on the top quite nicely. This photo has turned out to be one of my personal favorites.


Gotham (2007)
Camera: Polaroid SX-70, Alpha 1, Model 2
Film: Polaroid Time-Zero (very expired)
Polaroid border removed in the scanning process

This photo was taken a few days before Gotham, and it took me about 20 minutes to get this properly lined up without having any other buildings in the frame! I shot another one prior to this, but the building turned out too crooked for my taste, so I shot another and got this special image. I know it sounds silly, but I was literally out of breath after taking this shot! It was a real bear to compose, but worth it. I was particularly happy with the colors; they are classically faded as good Time-Zero colors taken in bright light should be, but not washed out.


The Flatiron Building (2007)
Camera: Polaroid SX-70, Alpha 1, Model 2
Film: Polaroid Time-Zero

As a change of pace, this Holga photo was taken on a whim; I love to play with multiple exposures, so I shot madly, wondering how it would come out. I think it's a fairly fun photograph!

Vertigo (200&)
Camera: Holga CFN
Film: Classic Pan 400

I cannot wait until I'm in NYC again; I have plans to go back to the Flatiron and try some different cameras and processes. Stay tuned!

No comments: